Friday, August 7, 2009

Missing son found in military training school

 
by Mizzima News
Thursday, 06 August 2009 21:25

Chiang Mai (Mizzima) – Chit Ye Zaw hails from Kula village, Myingyan Township, Mandalay Division in Burma. His father says when Chit Ye Zaw, who dropped out of school when he was in Standard VIII, was working in Mandalay to help his parents, he was tricked and recruited in the Burmese Army in the beginning of last month.

Now the boy is at the Military Training School (4), Pinglong, Southern Shan State. His father has informed the International Labor Organization (ILO) in Yangon to get his son back from the army.

Mizzima reporter Phoe Zaw interviewed 48-year old Tai Chit, who chanced to meet his son to be able to know about Chit Ye Zaw who was recruited as a child soldier.

Qs. When and how did Chit Ye Zaw disappear?

Ans. I knew when the Mandalay teashop called me. My son worked in the “Koe Sel Sa” tea shop on 12th street in Mandalay. He went to visit his friend working in a shop on 41st Street by public bus No. 6 when he was off duty on July 3 2009 afternoon. He reached the western entrance of the Big Pagoda after crossing 45th Street.

He got lost because he did not how to go to 41st Street. A Sergeant on a motorcycle told him that he would take him to 41st street and took him away.

Qs. After that, how did he reach the soldier’s recruitment center?


Ans. The army man did not take him to the 41st street. The boy was hungry so he took him to a restaurant. Then he took him to “Htee Taw Moe” recruitment center. It was already closed because it was dark. The boy was then taken to “Ku Mae” monastery and slept there for three nights. My child told me about all this.

On the 7th of July, when he took him to “Htee Taw Moe”, a Captain from “Htee Taw Moe” sent him back saying the child was too young. This captain gave me the name and address of the Sergeant who took the child there. He is Sergeant Thar Tun Hlaing from Myitkyina based Armoured Battalion 7004.

Qs. How did you know he is in Pinglong?

Ans. When I was in “Thee Taw Moe”, they transferred him to Shwe Bo. They sent him to Shwe Bo on the 8th. When I went to Shwe Bo, it was the 11th of the month. When I asked the Shwe Bo Training School, the officer in-charge there told me that my son was sent to Pinglong Battalion.

Qs. Now in which Military Training School is he? Did you ask them for your boy to be called back?

Ans. Now he is in the Military Training School No. 4, Pinglong, Northern Shan State. When I went there, I met a captain. I don’t know his name. He said that my son cannot be called back because the list of trainees was in Naypyitaw. He said that he has to send a letter to Naypyitaw about it.

Qs. Did you get a chance to meet your son? What documents did you take along with you when you went to army?

Ans. Yes, I met and talked to my son. I had my identity card, my son’s ID and Family Document Type 10.

Qs. Your son has been sent to the army, how do you feel as a father?

Ans. I feel really bad about it. My son is very young. He is just a child. His is not the right age for the Training School so I think he will feel depressed. My wife had to be sent to hospital while I have to go after him.

Qs. How is his health situation and provisions of food and shelter for him?

Ans. I did not get that much time to talk to my son.

Qs. What training did he start in the army?

Ans. I don’t know because I was there one day before their training.

Qs. Did your son say that he wanted to go home with you?

Ans. Of course.

Qs. Did you contact the ILO?

Ans. Yes, I did.

Qs. What will you do, if your son is not sent back home from the army?

Ans. I just have to rely on ILO.

Qs. Why do you want to call your son back from the army?

Ans. He is so young and he was working for our living. He is my second son. There is no one to work for us and look after us because the first son is already married. And there are three other children younger than him.

(We have learnt that Tai Chit cannot go to meet his son, Chit Ye Zaw again, because of financial problems.)