Friday, 19 March 2010 19:51 Mizzima News (Research)
(Compiled by Kyaw Kha on March 18, 2010)
* According to the 15th May, 2008 official announcement; the population of Burma is 57,504,368
* According to the 2008 constitution; there are 27,369,957 eligible voters.
* There are 2, 48,664 prisoners in Burma according to an announcement by the prison department.
* There are more than 2,100 political prisoners in Burma.
* The child population in Burma is 22 million, according to records of Save the Children.
* There are over 500,000 Buddhist monks, according to the Ministry of Religion.
* According to records of Myanmar Christian Council, there are 13,500 Christian fathers in Myanmar.
* There are 12,000 Islamic religion servants, confirmed by Islamic Religious Affairs Council.
* There are at least 2 million Burmese migrants in Thailand.
* Both legal and illegal migrants number about 500,000 in Malaysia.
* There are about 150,000 refugees in camps on the Thai- Burma border.
* About 50,000 Burmese migrants are in Mizoram State, India.
* According to an official announcement in May 2008, there are 325 Townships in Burma.
List of political parties, associations, and the number of party members
(The numbers below are from the related parties as on March 12, 2010.)
* There are 24 million members in the USDA (Union of Solidarity and Development Association). It is going to be a National Development Party which will be supported by the military junta.
* There are over 12 million members in the NLD (National League for Democracy).
* Ethnic Unity Party has 3.5 million party members.
* The Union of Myanmar National Political Force led by Aye Lwin has 150,000 party members