Friday, February 25, 2011

Woman reportedly changes story in Dunkley case

Friday, 25 February 2011 16:48 Thea Forbes

Chiang Mai (Mizzima) – The facts surrounding the alleged assault case brought against the detained Australian co-owner of the Myanmar Times, Ross Dunkley, remain shrouded in rumour.

After a hearing in the Kamayut Township Court in Rangoon,
Australian journalist Ross Dunkley, the founder and co-owner
of the Myanmar Times, is seen before he enters a car to
transport prisoners to Burma's notorious Insein Prison on
Thursday, February 24, 2011. Photo: Mizzima
Dunkley was arrested by Burmese authorities on February 10 and charged with violations of the Immigration Act and assaulting a Burmese woman.

The founder of the Myanmar Times appeared at a court hearing on Thursday.

A statement given to Mizzima by David Armstrong, the chairman of Post Media Ltd in Phnom Penh, of which Dunkley is a shareholder, said that ‘a woman who had made allegations of physical assault against Mr. Dunkley told the court she wanted to withdraw her complaint.’

The statement said that the woman who brought the charge against Dunkley had made allegations in a hearing on Thursday that she had ‘not made in her initial police interview.’ It was unclear how Armstrong came by that information.

According to a spokesperson from the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Dunkley was detained by Burmese authorities on the night of February 10  and charged with offences under Burma’s Immigration Act and Criminal Code.

He had previously been detained on January 20  but was released without charge at that time.

The court refused bail for Dunkley and remanded him to Insein Prison in Rangoon until his next court hearing on March 3, 2011.

Leave a Reply