Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Businessmen voters remain undecided

0 comments
 
Tuesday, 26 October 2010 00:29 Myint Maung

New Delhi (Mizzima) - The following is the fifth in a series featuring opinions from a cross-section of Burmese society on the nation’s political climate and the upcoming national elections. Reporters chose the subjects at random, however for this instalment, Mizzima spoke only to businessmen.

With 12 days until election day, four of the five businessmen from as many townships in three divisions said they remained undecided about their votes.

Hotelier, Maymyo (Pyinoolwin) Township, Mandalay Division

“I haven’t decided which party I should cast my vote for. No political party has conducted electoral campaigns in Pyinoolwin. People [here] … don’t seem interested in the forthcoming election. Political parties haven’t conducted canvassing for votes as this is the town of a military outpost. I think I won’t vote as I don’t know which parties will contest in Pyinoolwin”

Insecticide retailer, Mandalay city

“Everything is as usual. I haven’t decided which party I should support. Although political parties have conducted campaigns in my constituency, I missed them because I’m usually at my shop … If I have to vote, I may vote for this party [Union Solidarity and Development Party, USDP]. Even if I don’t vote for it, I’m sure it’ll win.”

Bean trader, Taungdwingyi Township, Magway Division

“I’m going to vote in the election but I haven’t decided which party to vote for. I’m still just observing the political parties.”

Electrical retailer Rangoon

“I haven’t decided whether I should vote or not. I’m ambivalent. I think the election will not be fair, so sometimes I think I shouldn’t vote. On the other hand, I think I should vote for the pro-democracy parties. If I choose to vote, I’ll vote for pro-democracy parties. But I haven’t decided.”

Clothing industrialist, Monywa Township, Sagaing Division

“To be honest, I don’t want to vote … as Aung San Suu Kyi’s party is boycotting the election. Political parties haven’t canvassed my ward. I’m not interested in the campaigns of political parties. I want to dedicate myself to my work.

Leave a Reply