Thursday, October 22, 2009

‘Value’ in Japan-Mekong Director contest

 
by Nem Davies
Thursday, 22 October 2009 12:54

New Delhi (Mizzima) – The Myanmar Motion Picture Association-led selection of youth director for the Japan-Mekong Amateur Director contest was held in the first week of this month. It selected 18 people.

Selected youth directors are entitled to attend the Youth Festival, which will be held on October 5 in Kogoshima, Japan. All travel expenses will be borne by the organizers. The youth directors were selected from among contestants from Japan and Mekong region countries: Burma, Laos, Thai and Vietnam. China is not included in this contest.

Mizzima reporter Nem Davies interviewed one of the selected youth directors -- 22-year old Ko Zaw Zaw (Mandalar).

Q: How do you feel after being selected?

A: I am glad as I contested with full self-confidence.

Q: With which 3-minute short video film did you contest?

A: Some submitted 2 to 3 short films in this contest. The contestants were selected by judging each of their work. I contested with my documentary film entitled ‘Value’. It’s on wood sculpture, just 3 minutes long, based on Burmese culture with an example of a Burmese saying: ‘You can use wood as firewood also. If you carve the wood, it will become wood sculpture’. I shot the film with this example.

Q: How long did you take to shoot this film?

A: I shot the 3-minute short film from 9 a.m. to 5:30 a.m. It took a total of 9 hours including breaks to finish it.

Q: Where did you shoot this film and what difficulties did you face in shooting it?


A: I shot the film in Rangoon and some of the scenes were shot in wood carving shops. The first difficulty was it was too short - just 3 minutes. I had to try to include all I want to show in the short film. There were no other difficulties for me as I wrote the script myself.

Q: Did you get any support in shooting the film?

A: No, not at all. I shot feature video films myself in video productions. I’ve shot 4 feature video films so far. I will shoot another video film in November. I shoot these video films myself for outside productions.

Q: Have you attended directorial classes before? When did you start your career as video film director?

A: I attended a 4-months basic director training course at Myanmar Motion Picture Association. After that, I studied other trades and started my career as video director in September 2008.

Q: What are your previous video productions? Who are the stars in these videos?

A: Most of my video films are drama. I have completed shooting of ‘Unrivalled Mother’, ‘Region of Attachment’, ‘Wild Flowers’ and ‘Museum of Heart’. They will be released at the end of this month. I shall start shooting of ‘Story of Star’ a video film on 10 November. I wrote the script and will direct the video myself.

I prepare my productions based on the story. I like drama and prefer to shoot drama. First I prepare with paper work before shooting. Then I have no problem and difficulty during the actual shooting. I takes 2 to 3 months for shooting each video film.

The stars in my videos are Yan Aung, Tun Eindra Bo, Daw Cho Pyone and Daw Myint Myint Khin. Other stars in other films are Yan Aung, May Than Nu, Zaw Oo, Khin Soe Paing and other emerging actors and actresses.

Q: When will you leave for Japan? Who will pay the expenses?

A: The Japanese embassy told us to leave here on 3 December. We will have an introductory party on 2 December at the embassy and will leave Burma on 3 December. The festival will start on 5 December in Kagoshima. We are informed that all the expenses for travel, accommodation and meals will be borne by the embassy excluding personal expenses.