Monday, September 10, 2012

Skydiver to raise funds for Burmese political prisoners

0 comments
 
Monday, 10 September 2012 15:07

A Burmese native who works for Burma Campaign UK is seeking sponsors to help her skydive from a plane two miles high to raise funds for political prisoners in Burma.

Wai Hnin, the daughter of a former political prisoner, said she’s  “determined to bring freedom and family reunions to all jailed political activists in Burma.”

“I am jumping to raise funds to campaign for the release of all political prisoners in Burma and also to provide direct help and support to those prisoners who have been released,” she said.

 “When I was four, I first saw my father, a democracy activist, through prison bars during the first of two long prison sentences,” she said.  “When I was growing up, I always wondered why my father could not be with us.

She said he is one of the “lucky ones” who was released from jail, but many hundreds still remain in prison and others suffer from trauma and sickness.

A total of 394 confirmed political prisoners are being help by the Burmese government, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners-Burma.

To contribute to the fundraising campaign, go to http://www.bmycharity.com/burmaskydive2012

Leave a Reply